They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I strongly agree, but not in the traditional sense. I’m a firm believer in breaking-your-fast when your body is ready, not shoveling bacon + eggs in just because the sun came up. (Exception: That’s what Sundays are for!)
If someone had told me a year ago that I’d be blending butter into my coffee, I would have thought they were crazy. Same goes for blending kale into a daily drink — 5 years ago I would have rolled my eyes at that! Bulletproof Coffee has become quite the phenomenon and for good reason — it is delicious, satisfying, boosts energy + brain power and (thank you Dave Asprey) has turned coffee into a health drink.
Or has it?
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition, so when something like Bulletproof comes along and everybody who is anybody starts blending butter into their coffee — it’s all too tempting to join in. My suggestion with this and every trend: Make sure the protocol fits your life and you understand why you’re doing what you’re doing. If you want to see this logic in action, watch this segment from Jimmy Kimmel where he asks gluten-free dieters what gluten is. Hilarious. (If someone asked you about your dietary choices, would you be able to back them with reasoning and knowledge?)
If you’ve decided to try Bulletproof, it’s time to take the trend and make it your own. Here are my tips for making it work for you:
- Most important: If you’re not a coffee drinker, don’t start. You can use the general idea of Bulletproof Coffee with tea or choose the decaf variety.
- Start with the original recipe and tweak it from there. I use a higher ratio of coconut oil to ghee.
- Try organic, grass-fed ghee instead of grass-fed butter. No milk solids — casein + lactose free!
- Use high-quality ingredients. You don’t have to purchase from Upgraded Self, but you can’t rock this with Folgers either.
- If you don’t currently eat a moderate to high-fat diet, oh lord…it ain’t gonna be pretty. I recommend two things: Either start by drinking the coffee blend 1-3 times per week, or take an enzyme to help your body process those fats. You can’t make a huge leap like this and expect your body to perfectly respond.
- Add in organic spices, or try Bulletproof’s cacao or vanilla. What NOT to do: Do not add sugars, even raw honey or agave. (Cue Destiny’s Child) No, no, no, no, no.
- Contrary to what the folks at Bulletproof recommend, I wouldn’t drink more than one cup of BP Coffee per day. Switch over to yo’ kale juice, ladies!
- Before you drink Bulletproof Coffee (or any coffee), reach for 12-16 ounces of spring water with fresh lemon.
- If after a few weeks you find that Bulletproof doesn’t work for you, ditch it. Go back to old faithful: The Pumpkin Spice Latte! (Just kidding –don’t do that!)
I’m all for balance, so I recommend a mixed-morning approach that includes energizing smoothies, Bulletproof Coffee and fasting when appropriate. It’s always best to have a customized approach that takes into consideration your lifestyle, stress levels, workouts and goals. glowFIT will do just that for you — with a completely customized nutrition protocol to jumpstart your day and your results!
To your glow!